Thursday, 14 February 2013

Ripple redux!

Ok - the ripple blanket has been a great way to use up oddments of my stash and it's great fun seeing what colour-matches emerge (I was picking yarn randomly from a bag).

But - I was never completely happy with the cast-on (is that the correct term for crochet?) edge. It originally took me a few attempts until I had something I thought was OK but it somehow still wasn't right. I plugged on relentless, convinced I could block the edging into submission later; it looks OK (above) doesn't it?

However, the way it didn't lie flat mocked me with each new stripe of colour:

I decided I could perhaps correct the proper zigzag edge by picking up the stitches and working downwards:

Hmmm - a valiant effort but  ....................................................... no!

So, I started with a new length of yarn, making my tension incredibly (for me) loose and guess what:

Ah - that's more like it!

Now I plan to unravel each row from the original and use it on the new piece. Happy days ahead, rippling away :-)


  1. What a difference. Good for you for digging until you got what you wanted! I can't wait to see the completed afghan.

  2. I know how you feel, had to undone my sock..but it was worth it! Can't wait to see yours finished!

  3. Wow!! That is a labour of true love. Well done you.kindest regards linda

    1. The project so far is on my twitter feed @Librarymaid

      ......and the next colour is.....

  4. That really has made a difference, will look forward to seeing how this one grows over time