Saturday, 14 September 2013

Back from the 'colonies' - with a big bag of booty!



Earlier this week DD and I got back from our trip to New England  - see my other blog. As I mentioned previously, I'd been clearing projects out of the way in readiness for utilising all the the things I planned to purchase! We went with half-empty cases in anticipation of bringing back a few bits and pieces - and boy, did we!

High on the list of priorities was a  trip to Michaels - which we'd discovered for the first time on our last visit to the cousins in New Hampshire. As my cousin's wife is keen on crafting it didn't take much arm-twisting to get her to take us to the nearest store.

Only half-way round the shop!

There was just so much on offer we trundled up and down the aisles gawping at everything - there was much 'ooooh-ing' and 'aaahhhh-ing' I can tell you!  Back here in the UK we don't have stores on this scale; Hobbycraft , bless it, is teeny compared to Michaels.

But even better was yet to come - when we were told about Hobby Lobby ! This out-did even Michaels - a quick visit 'just to look'  turned into several hours and parting with many $$$$$s!

Inspecting some of our bounty!

Getting all the bags and packages out of  our luggage was fun, reliving the joy all over again. :-)

The range of yarn on offer was gobsmacking! These I bought a with no particular
projects in mind - just loved the colours:
There are patterns printed on the inside of the ball bands so I may try out anything suitable.

Coz's wife is more into crochet, so I volunteered to knit her a scarf/shawl
as per the pattern on these two balls

A couple of patterns in this book caught my attention - the yarn is a mohair/wool/acrylic mix

There was a request for socks from coz and wife - but this particular yarn is just for me! ;-)

A selection of pattern books -  Bavarian Crochet is new to me,
so I'm looking forward to seeing what that entails!

Couldn't resist this cross-stitch kit of a typical New England lighthouse. Although, I don't know when I shall get around to starting it - given the other cross-stitch project already sitting in the queue!

Couldn't turn my back on this little trio of miniature birdhouses, either! I have plans to paint them up in contrasting shades of the colours of my new kitchen (coming soon!)

Last, but not least - I bought this in a Christmas decoration store. Can you believe it - whole stores selling just Christmas decorations - all year round!
(....should I change my blog-name, I wonder......?)


So many projects, so many possibilities - where shall I begin.....
:-)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow blogger!
    I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read the nomination post (link below) and share the love. I was really chuffed to be nominated and have had great fun answering my nominator's questions and compiling questions for nominees.

    Congratulations, and keep up the good work!

    Now, if you are so inclined, click here: http://pinkandbluemummyland.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/nominated/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely finds! I love the picture of you on the bed with all your "loot" around you. I enjoy needlepoint and cross-stitch too!

    Michael's does internet orders; will they ship to the U.K.? You might not have to wait to get your next "fix."

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! and I thought Hobbycraft in UK was MASSIVE to anything we have here in Australia!!! I couldn't keep away from the place.......

    ReplyDelete